How does Spaceship Voyager work?
Spaceship Voyager removes all of the complexities of investing by creating 3 hand-picked portfolios by investment professionals. These 3 diversified portfolios are called the Spaceship Univesrse Portfolio, Spaceship Earth Portfolio and Spaceship Origin Portfolio.
Each portfolio option gives you investment exposure to a different and specific strategy. For example, the Universe Portfolio is comprised of top Tech stocks like Apple, Tesla and Spotify and the Earth Portfolio contains popular stocks like Shopify and Square. The guide below provides a high-level overview of what you need to do to get started on Spaceship Voyager:
- Sign up to Spaceship Voyager and verify your personal information.
- Select the portfolio you want to invest in.
- Connect your bank account and deposit Australian dollars.
- Buy your first portfolio on Spaceship Voyager.
Spaceship Voyager Portfolios
As of time of writing, investors can choose between 3 different investment portfolios that are hand-picked by the Spaceship Voyager team. Investors have the ability to set up automated weekly, fortnightly or monthly deposits to ensure they are dollar cost averaging into their investments. Refer to the below to help you determine the most suitable investment vehicle to get started.
Spaceship Universe Portfolio: The Spaceship Universe portfolio is their most popular actively managed fund that holds between 70-100 different companies. The strategy underpinning this investment portfolio is to hold many of the top performing growth and tech stocks in the United States and Australia, which includes Facebook, Google, Tesla, Apple, Afterpay, Zip and many more.
The Spaceship Universe Portfolio returned 6.73% to investors since its inception.
Spaceship Earth Portfolio: The Spaceship Earth portfolio was designed to serve investors who are looking for environmentally sustainable businesses that are driving change in areas such as climate change and other critical issues. They also invest in large tech companies that are actively donating to poverty, climate change and other issues such as Atlassian, Shopify, Square and many others.
The Spaceship Earth Portfolio returned -5.69% to investors since its inception.
Spaceship Origin Portfolio: The last actively managed fund available is Spaceship Origin, which is a fund made up of the top 100 ASX listed companies, and top 100 international listed companies by market capitalisation. This fund has exposure to companies that include Commonwealth Bank, Coles, BHP, Tesla, Facebook, Netflix, Amazon and many others.
The Spaceship Origin Portfolio returned 8.14% to investors since its inception.
There is a monthly management fee of $2.50 per month for holding a Spaceship Voyager portfolio like Origin or Earth. This is because the portfolios rebalance every month according to the Portfolio Strategy, which costs a small fee. There are no additional or hidden fees on Spaceship Voyager.
What are the risks of using Spaceship Voyager?
As is the case with any investment, there are a few risks associated with using this platform and buying their select portfolios. Some of these risks include, but are not limited to:
- Market Risks: The most popular portfolio is Spaceship Universe, which is heavily tied to the top tech stocks in the United States. Given the market volatility and political uncertainty, there are serious risks associated with investing in high-growth tech stocks.
- Stock Risks: The Spaceship portfolios are all hand picked, which means you do not have the ability to add or remove certain stocks. This means there are some risks associated with not being able to actively manage your own portfolio.
- Liquidity Risks: This app is designed for small investors, if you are looking to invest large size we would recommend a traditional brokerage like CommSec.
The Bottom Line
Spaceship Voyager is a fantastic way for new investors to get started in a simple and low cost way. Their portfolios enable investors to get access to high quality assets that are sufficiently diversified to reduce overall volatility. We would recommend the Spaceship Voyager app for all new investors that are looking to start building their portfolios.